I am a researcher, writer and teacher. Passionate about shedding light on contemporary issues and contributing solutions to current global challenges, I combine my exceptional expertise in terrorism, propaganda and intelligence history with a global perspective at the intersection of History, Political Science and Economics.
For a more lighthearted take of what’s on my mind, visit my Medium blog.
• Intelligence History
• Cold War
• New Diplomatic History
German (native speaker); English (native level); French (fluent); Italian (proficient); Catalan (basic)
• International Advisory Board of Terrorism: An Electronic Journal and Knowledge Base, published by the Inter-University Center for Terrorism Studies
• Editorial Board of the Journal of Mediterranean and Balkan Intelligence, published by the Research Institute for European and American Studies
• Austrian Center for Intelligence, Propaganda and Security Studies (ACIPSS)
• Critical Studies on Terrorism Working Group (CSTWG) of the British International Studies Association (BISA)
• Swissint: Association of Swiss Intelligence Officers
CURRENT BOOK PROJECTS
• Informal Transnational Governance Networks: A History of Le Cercle
• States and Terrorism in the Cold War: Myth and Reality (with Prof. Yonah Alexander, Dr. Thomas Riegler and Dr. Przemyslaw Gasztold)
Interviewed and consulted by various international media such as CBS 60 Minutes (USA), SRF (Switzerland),Stern (Germany), Neue Zürcher Zeitung (Switzerland). Le Point (France), Le Temps (Switzerland), and SWR (Germany).
• The role of the Pakistani intelligence service ISI in the Afghanistan conflict: Excerpts from a lecture at the International Spy Museum, Washington DC, in January 2014.
• Excerpts from a lecture on the New Cold War, organized by The Inter-University Center for Terrorism Studies. International Law Institute, Washington DC, January 2016.
Lecturer (Dozent) at the Distance Learning University Switzerland: since 2015
Responsible for the Political History module, Bachelor of Arts in Historical Sciences
Postdoctoral Fellow at Leiden University, Institute for History: since 2015
Book Project (Habilitationsprojekt): A Transnational History of the Cercle Pinay, 1952-1991
Early Postdoc.Mobility grant by the Swiss National Science Foundation (SNSF)
Lecturer at the History Department, University of Zurich: 2013-2014
PhD, University of Zurich: 2010-2013
Completed magna cum laude
Research grant by the University of Zurich
“Terrorism, Political Paranoia and Propaganda in the Reagan Era”
Advisor: Prof. Dr. Philipp Sarasin
Advanced Studies in Secondary and Higher Education at the University of Zurich: 2009-2012
Lizentiat (equivalent of a Master’s degree) at the University of Zurich: 2002-2009
Graduated summa cum laude
Matura Typus B in Zurich (Kantonsschule Freudenberg): 1994-2001
Hänni, Adrian. Terrorismus als Konstrukt: Schwarze Propaganda und politische Bedrohungsängste in Ronald Reagans Amerika. (Terrorism as a Construct: Black Propaganda and Political Fears in Ronald Reagan’s America.). Klartext-Verlag, Reihe “Frieden und Krieg: Beiträge zur historischen Friedensforschung” (Series “Peace and War: Contributions to historical peace research”).
Hänni, Adrian. When Casey’s Blood Pressure Rose: A Case Study of Intelligence Politicization in the United States. In:
Intelligence and National Security, Vol. 31, No. 7, December 2016, pp. 963-977. DOI:10.1080/02684527.2016.1162401.
Hänni, Adrian. A Chance for a Propaganda Coup? The Reagan Administration and The Day After. In:
Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television, Vol. 36, No. 3, 2016, pp. 415-435. DOI: 10.1080/01439685.2015.1105514.
“a significant contribution to the current reappraisal of the Reagan era” (peer review comment)
Hänni, Adrian. “Read It in the Papers, Seen It on TV…”: The 1981 Libyan Hit Squad Scare as a Case of Simulated Terrorism in the United States. In: Critical Studies on Terrorism, Vol. 9, No. 1, 2016, pp. 54-75. DOI: 10.1080/17539153.2016.1178523.
“a great piece of work […] it will make a very good contribution to the field” (peer review comment)
Hänni, Adrian. Ein Forum konservativer Machteliten im transatlantischen Raum: Der Cercle im Zeitalter des Kalten Kriegs. In: Wie Eliten Macht organisieren: Bilderberg & Co.: Lobbying, Think Tanks und Mediennetzwerke. Eds. Björn Wendt, Marcus B. Klöckner, Sascha Pommrenke, Michael Walter. Hamburg: VSA, 2016, pp. 118-130.
Hänni, Adrian. Discurso terrorista y la militarización del contraterrorismo estadounidense: Los años de Reagan (Terrorism Discourse and the Militarization of U.S. Counterterrorism: The Reagan Years). In: Relaciones Internacionales, No. 32, June 2016, pp. 97-117.
“An excellent article […] I wish I had read the article sooner as I would certainly have cited it in some of my research and teaching!” (peer review comment)
Hänni, Adrian. Carlos der Schakal: Der Mythos des ersten globalen “Superterroristen” und die Rolle von Geheimdiensten in Ost und West.
(Carlos the Jackal: The Myth of the First Global “Superterrorist” and the Role of Intelligence Services in East and West.) In: JIPSS: Journal for Intelligence, Propaganda and Security Studies, Vol. 10, No. 1, 2016, pp. 69-82.
Hänni, Adrian. The Myth of a New Cold War: On the Use and Abuse of History concerning Russia’s Challenge to the West. In: Russia’s Strategic Puzzle: Past Lessons, Current Assessment, and Future Outlook. Ed. Inter-University Center for Terrorism Studies. Arlington, VA, March 2016, pp. 10-13.
Hänni, Adrian, Hegi, Lukas. The Pakistani Godfather: The Inter-Services Intelligence and the Afghan Taliban 1994-2010. In: Global Radical Islamist Insurgency: Al Qaeda and Islamic State Networks Focus. Eds. Dave Dilegge, Robert J. Bunker. Bloomington, IN 2016, pp. 114-145.
Hänni, Adrian. Chimäre Curiel: Westliche Geheimdienste, antikommunistische Propaganda-Netzwerke und die Produktion eines Kalten-Kriegs-Mythos (Mysterious Curiel: Western Intelligence Services, Anti-Communist Propaganda Networks and the Production of a Cold War Myth). In: JIPSS: Journal for Intelligence, Propaganda and Security Studies, Vol. 9, No. 1, 2015, pp. 76-92.
Hänni, Adrian. A Global Crusade against Communism: The Cercle in the Second Cold War. In: Transnational Dimensions of Cold War Anticommunism: Actions, Networks, Transfers. Eds. Giles Scott-Smith, Luc van Dongen, Stephanie Roulin. Palgrave Macmillan Transnational History Series. New York 2014, pp. 161-174.
“essential reading” (David Teacher)
Hänni, Adrian. Terrorismus als Konstrukt: Schwarze Propaganda und politische Bedrohungsängste in Ronald Reagans Amerika. (Terrorism as a Construct: Black Propaganda and Political Fears in Ronald Reagan’s America.) PhD Dissertation, University of Zurich, September 2013.
Hänni, Adrian. Mastermind of Terror: The Soviet Union as the Leader of the International Terror Network. In: The Soviet Union and the United States: Rivals of the Twentieth Century: Coexistence and Competition. Ed. Eva-Maria Stolberg. Frankfurt am Main: Peter-Lang-Edition, 2013, pp. 217-246.
Hänni, Adrian, Hegi, Lukas. The Pakistani Godfather: The Inter-Services Intelligence and the Afghan Taliban 1994-2010. In: Small Wars Journal, Vol. 9, No. 4, April 2013. http://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/the-pakistani-godfather-the-inter-services-intelligence-and-the-afghan-taliban-1994-2010 (Accessed 1 May 2013).
Hänni, Adrian, Hegi, Lukas. Pakistanischer Pate: Der Geheimdienst Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) und die afghanischen Taliban, 2002-2010 (Pakistani Godfather: The Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and the Afghan Taliban, 2002-2010). In: JIPSS: Journal for Intelligence, Propaganda and Security Studies, Vol. 5, No. 1, 2011, pp. 46-60.
• Research Workshop Palestine Under Occupation: The Legitimation of Violence and the Violence of Legitimation
Invited to speak by Dr. Catherine Charrett and Dr. James Eastwood
Queen Mary, University of London
26 May 2017.
• 25. ACIPSS Conference
Invited to speak by the Austrian Center for Intelligence, Propaganda & Security Studies (ACIPSS)
9 June 2017.
• Transnationale Schweiz: Netzwerke paramilitärischer Gewalt im 20. Jahrhundert
Workshop sponsored by the Arbeitskreis Militärgeschichte
ETH Zurich/University of Zurich, Switzerland
10 November 2017.
• Conference Popes on the Rise! Mobilization, Media, and Political Power of the Modern Papacy
Invited to speak by the Center for Religion and Modernity, Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität and Römisches Institut der Görres-Gesellschaft
Rome/Vatican, Campo Santo Teutonico
22-26 March 2017.
• Zagreb Security Forum 2017: Resilient Critical Infrastructure with focus on Energy, Water and Cyber
Invited by Dr. Gordan Akrap/the Zagreb Security Forum
Sheraton Hotel, Zagreb, Croatia
6-7 March 2017.
• Verschwörungstheorien zwischen Glaube und Instrumentalisierung: Panel am 51. Deutschen Historikertag
Invited to speak by Dr. Helge Heidemeyer, Abteilungsleiter Bildung und Forschung, BStU Berlin and Dr. Douglas Selvage
Presentation: Verschwörungstheorien und Terrorismus: Der Masterplan des KGB zur Weltherrschaft
Universität Hamburg, Germany
23 September 2016.
• Annual BISA Critical Studies on Terrorism Working Group Conference:
Intersecting Critical Terrorism Studies and (Post)colonialism: Standards, Subjects and Spectacle
Invited to speak by the BISA Critical Studies on Terrorism Working Group
Newcastle University, Newcastle, UK
15-16 August 2016.
• Attac-Sommerakademie 2016: Wissen, Aktion, Strategie – Für eine solidarische Welt
Invited to speak by Attac and the VSA-Verlag
Co-organization: Workshop “Wie Eliten Macht organisieren”
6 August 2016.
• Op-ed in the Swiss online newspaper Journal 21 on the referendum in British history
21 June 2016
• Op-ed in the Swiss daily newspaper Neue Zürcher Zeitung on the 1916 Sykes-Picot Agreement in the propaganda of Al-Qaeda and ISIS
17 June 2016
• Citations in the Swiss French daily newspaper Le Temps on a potential secret deal between Switzerland and the PLO:
28 April 2016
Blick am Abend/Blick
12 April 2016
• Interview with Radio Life Channel on the connection between oil and power in the Middle East
Radio Life Channel
31 March 2016
• International History Research Seminar: Transnational Networks in the Cold War
Invited to speak by The London School of Economics and Political Science
Presenting: A Transnational History of the “Cercle Pinay”, 1952-1991
32 Lincoln’s In Fields, Room B13.
16 March 2016, 16:00-18:00.
• Special Luncheon Seminar Untangling Russia’s Puzzle: Past Lessons and Future Outlook
Invited to speak by The Inter-University Center for Terrorism Studies
The International Law Institute
20 January 2016, 14:30-16:00.
• 22. ACIPSS-Tagung Zum Terrorismus in Österreich: Erfahrung und Gefahr
Invited to speak by the Institut für Orientalistik, Universität Wien, and the Austrian Center for Intelligence, Propaganda and Security Studies (ACIPSS)
Presentation: CARLOS in Wien: Geburtsstunde des ersten globalen Superterroristen
20 November 2015
• Lunch Seminar “Le Cercle” in the Cold War: A Secret Space for Informal Diplomacy or Another Super Club for Old White Men?
Invited to speak by the Institute for History at Leiden University
Conference Room, Huizinga Building
Leiden, the Netherlands
16 November 2015, 13:00-14:00.
• 10 Years of Critical Terrorism Studies: Reflections on the Past, Prescriptions for the Future
BISA @40 Workshop
British International Studies Association (BISA) 40th Anniversary Conference 2015
Invited to speak by the BISA Critical Studies on Terrorism Working Group
Guoman Tower Hotel, London
16 June 2015
• Conference States and Terrorism: An Ambivalent Relationship
Invited to speak by The Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies, Geneva
Panel: The Cold War & Terrorism: Myths and Misinterpretations
Presenting: The Jackal Dissected: Carlos and the Myth of a Soviet Terrorist Conspiracy
7-8 May 2015
• SHAFR 2014 Annual Meeting
Invited to speak by The Society for Historians of American Foreign Relations
Panel: State Perceptions of and Reactions to Terrorism in the 1970s and 1980s
Presenting: The Next Great Enemy? The Framing of ‘Terrorism’ by the Reagan Administration
19-21 June 2014
• Threatened Order, Societies under Stress – Challenges, Concepts, Ideas during the Cold War of the 1970s & 1980s
Invited to speak by Collaborative Research Centre (CRC) 923 of the Universität Tübingen
Panel: Legacies of the Cold War
Presenting: “The Terror Network Image: A Case of Hyperreality and Political Paranoia in the Second Cold War”
13-15 September 2013
• Solutions to Peak Oil? Unconventional Oil and its Limits
Organizer for ASPO Switzerland
The focus of the conference is to critically analyze the opportunities and limitations of unconventional oil as a viable solution in the age after conventional peak oil. Speakers include: Eric Nussbaumer (Nationalrat SP BL), Prof. Urs Muntwyler (El.Ing.HTL/University of Applied Sciences; Research focus: Photovoltaics), Dr. Werner Zittel (Physicist; Research focus: Energy Systems Technology) and Alexandre Beaurieux (Dipl.-Geol, Energy Researcher).
14 September 2013
• New Energy Challenges on the Example of the Polish Shale Gas Projects
Invited to speak by the Government of Poland
Presenting: “Shale Gas: The Triangle of Economics, Ecology, and Geopolitics”
21 May 2012
• Transnational Dimensions of Cold War Anticommunism: Actions, Networks, Transfers
Invited to speak by the University of Fribourg
Panel: Economics and Elites
Presenting: “A Global Crusade Against Communism: The Cercle and the 6I in the 1980s”
26-29 October 2011
• Afghanistan and the English-Speaking World since 1979: from the Cold War to the Global War on Terror
Invited to speak by the Universite de Paris VIII
Panel: Pakistan and Afghanistan
Presenting: “Pakistani Godfather: The Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) and the Afghan Taliban”
13-14 October 2011